Wednesday 25 September 2019

The tale of the “damaged” chip

Ok, I’ve been away from electronics for too long.

I haven’t been able to get my hands dirty and build circuits for a while.

But last week I sat down to build some circuits for the 555 Timer course.

I hooked up the most simple circuit (a blinking LED), but it wouldn’t blink!

I checked my connections, measured all the components, replaced the battery, replaced the breadboard – basically everything I could come up with. But still nothing.

The chip must be broken, I thought. So the next day I went to a local electronics supplier and bought three new 555 chips.

Replaced the chip… Still nothing.

I could not make the thing blink!

Finally, I put my ego aside and typed into google “555 circuit not working”. I read through a few forum posts until I saw this message by a man with the same problem:

“Well I’m a total fool. I read the pinout wrong. Working fine now.”

So I looked down on my circuit. Turns out I’ve done the same thing! I read the pinout wrong!

(Facepalm)

Well, all good now. I built a lot of fun circuits with the 555 timer. And finished up the course. If you’re already a member, you’ll find it in the Trainings Library when you log in.

Not a member? Join here:
https://ohmify.com/join/

Keep On Soldering!
Oyvind @ build-electronic-circuits.com

Copyright Build Electronic Circuits

No comments:

Post a Comment

When injecting pure spin into chiral materials, direction matters

The direction in which spin information is injected into chiral materials affects its ability to pass through them. These chiral 'gatewa...